Wills and Estates
Davenports West, West Auckland specialise in all matters relating to the setting up of Wills and the administration of Wills and deceased estates.
Our team of experienced law professionals can help you with:
- Advice on what to put in your Will,
- Preparation of your Will, and
- Administration of your Will after your passing.
Our Will expertise includes advice on:
- Giving gifts including chargeable gifts and charitable gifts,
- Ensuring valuable assets and family heirlooms remain in your family,
- Who should be executors to your Will, and
- Funeral arrangements.
For information about Trusts and Asset Planning, click here.
Why Having a Will is Important
“Why do I need a Will?” is a question we get asked often.
Most of us would like to think that when we die any assets we leave behind are available for our loved ones to benefit from.
A Will is a written document which declares how you would like your estate assets to be distributed on your death. Without a proper Will your wishes may not be carried out.
At Davenports West, the desires of each client are personally handled by our experienced team who aim to provide fast and effective handling of your legal needs. First we listen to what you want, then we:
- Provide appropriate advice for your unique situation,
- Prepare a Will that operates in the way you intend, and
- Ensure the chances of someone challenging your Will are minimised.
What Happens if I Die Without a Will?
If you die without leaving a Will you are said to have died, “intestate.” Any property and assets you leave behind will be distributed according to the provisions of the Administration Act 1969, s 77. In other words, it may not go to those you hoped it would.
On the other hand, a well drafted Will should provide an effective defence against claims and ensure your assets are distributed according to your wishes.
To contact us and discuss your Wills and Estate Law needs, click here.